Chinese Women, Asian Women, Online Dating & Things Chinese and Asian

Tourist visa and an off topic question

From: United States New York New York @traveler180 Time : 2016-09-28 06:40:00


I wanted to ask the contributors to this forum a couple of questions. Just to be clear, I have been researching my questions on the Internet. Some of my questions may be basic but I have found conflicting answers to them on the Net

I am planning a trip to China at the end of October, 2016. I will be in China for two weeks. The plan is to spend the first week in my girlfriend’s city. The second week we will travel to Beijing to see the Great Wall and some other tourist attractions in the Beijing area.

I live in New York City and I will be able to go to the Chinese Consulate. All of my traveling has been across the Atlantic and I have never needed a visa. I don’t normally use a travel agency. My passport is current and has the necessary blank pages.

My understanding is that to obtain a tourist visa I need to provide an itinerary including my airline reservation and the hotel where I will be staying when I arrive in my girlfriend’s home town. I want to be flexible regarding my travel plans for the second week.

1. Can I finalized my travel plans for Beijing and the Great Wall after I arrive in China or do I have to provide that information when I file for the tourist visa?

2. If I am staying at a hotel do I need a letter of invitation from my friend?

3. Is the visa normally for ten years, multiple trips, or do I have to request that?

The second part of this post has to do with marriage and is off topic. When I look at the success stories on this site it seems that some of the men have married their girlfriends in China. If so, why did they marry in China? My plan is to come back to the US and apply for a K1 visa. I think this is the best way to marry a Chinese citizen. Is one approach better than the other or is it a matter of individual circumstances?

I appreciate any information and insights that you folks can provide. Thank you.


Comments to Thread
(Showing 1 to 14 of 25) 1 2 More...
From: China 浙江(zhe jiang) 宁波(ning bo ) @zqy2014 Time : 2016-09-28 14:24:21 #1


As according to my knowledge and understanding, you could take the followings for a reference:-

1.  You should need provide an airline and hotel(first one) reservation to apply the tourist visa to China;

2. You should don't need a letter of invitation from your friend in China;

3. The tourist visa to China should be 3 months at least, not 10 years so long;

4. Why marry in China mainly due to it is more difficult for Chinese lady apply for a visa to western country than western man apply visa to China, then they will choose to marry in China so that process the next steps.

I guess many people here are more experienced than me on this point, all above just for your reference and hope they are helpful for you...





From: China 山东(shan dong) 济宁(ji ning ) @paulfox1 Time : 2016-09-28 23:10:55 #2


Unless things have changed, and I have no reason to believe they have, if this is your first trip to China then you can only apply for a single-entry, 30 day L visa (tourist visa).


Go to the Chinese embassy with the following :-

1) Return ticket to/from China

2) Hotel reservation

3) 2 x Passport photos

4) Passport

Chinese embassies are usually only open Monday-Friday 9am-12noon

If you are still in line at 11.55am, be prepared to be kicked out at noon as they won't serve a single customer after the stroke of the clock.

To save time, you can download the relevant form from the internet by going to the Chinese embassy website

Tick the box 'Travel' on the form

You don't need to tell them who you are meeting or where you will go. As far as they are concerned, you will stay in the area for the duration. If they ask, you can tell them that you have only booked a short time at the initial hotel because you don't know what it's like and you may move to a different hotel in the same city.

They will take your passport and give you a receipt. Keep it very safe. You will need to return several days later (usually 3 or 4) to pick up your passport - again between 9am and noon.


As far as the marriage subject is concerned, no idea!

From: United States California Los Angeles @ferlo Time : 2016-09-29 16:08:01 #3


   I recently when to China, I did not had to plan to go there, My trip was to Hong Kong, I arrived April 28 2016, and that week end I met with a friend we went for Disneyland and later have a nice dinner in a restaurant by the bay. 

   After that I was wondering alone in the Nanthan down town Tsim Sha Tsui Center. Walking along the Nantha I saw a sign that announced  visas, so I walking and got a visa for multiple entrances for ten years, I needed two passport photos and pay their fee. Same as the in HK (That no visa is needed) the stay was for 60 days, After a couple of days my passport was return and got my Chinese visa as I said above. Next I travel by rail to the City of Shenzhen there I met another friend, and after Shenzhen I went to Guangzhou Guangdong after two days I return to HK via rail to my return flight to US. 

    Not any authority question me where I was going to go, they at the passport check point the only question was if I had any thing to declare I just say no and that was it. no baggage inspection, no questions, no problems.

   Before my trip I was researching for what I need and so fort and like Fox said I found that I need to provide where I was going to visit, if I had an invitation, where I will be staying, what cities I will visit. But in reality once there I just travel same as I travel to any state in US no one bother, Once I present my passport to the Immigration clerk I was in China main land. 



From: United States New York New York @traveler180 Time : 2016-09-30 23:49:43 #4

@zgy2014  Thank you for responding to my questions. I am excited about visiting China. I think that the tourist visa may now be issued for ten years, multiple visits. I will ask when I go to the Chinese consulate. Why is it difficult for a Chinese woman to get a visa. Is it because they may live a great distance from the American Embassy or Consulate office?

From: United States New York New York @traveler180 Time : 2016-09-30 23:53:53 #5

@paulfox1 Thank you for your reply. I have read elsewhere that it is important to go to the Chinese Consulate office early in the morning. 

From: United States New York New York @traveler180 Time : 2016-09-30 23:57:14 #6

@ferlo Thanks for getting back to me. It is good to know that I will have some flexibility with my travel plans in China.

From: China 山东(shan dong) 济宁(ji ning ) @paulfox1 Time : 2016-10-01 13:45:59 #7


Why is it difficult for a Chinese woman to get a visa. Is it because they may live a great distance from the American Embassy or Consulate office?


Because they are Chinese! It sounds almost racist, and I guess it is. Chinese people need a visa to travel to just about anywhere, and some countries (including USA) make it extremely difficult for them.

@Anonymous25295 Time : 2016-10-02 00:21:53 #8

Traveler180, I believe it is more difficult for a Chinese women to get a Visa to the US and most definitely Canada because of all the illegals/scammers in the past i.e. not going back to China when they should/return date on ticket, illegally staying past their visa time limit etc etc It has become much tougher for a Chinese woman in recent years to get a Visa to Canada and a Permanent Resident Card because of all the illegals/scammers in the past. So many invovled in fraudelant marriages just to get PR Card or a Green Card in the States. Honest Chinese people are paying(rejected Visa applications etc) for the dishonest people before them...sad but true. Hneceforth the Governments look at 99% of all Visa applications by Chinese citizens as fraudelant/scam first making it very difficult to get the Visa/PR card/Green card for the honest citizens...

So at the end of the day it is so much easier to get married to a Chinese woman while in China...Once the proper paperwork is accumulated by the man and Chinese woman it is just a matter of filling out the marriage papers, paying the fee, getting marriage picture taken, recieving your marriage booklet and away you go.

Once you are married to a Chinese National you can apply for what they call a "Family Visa" which allows you to stay in China for up to 1 year without a medical check up by Chinese doctor or up to 2 years with a medical check up by a doctor in China. These Visa's once granted lasts for the length of your current Passport and are for multiple entries, come and go freely as many times as you want essentially.

I am not American but I have been to China several times and have never been questioned about anything except being stared at by the immigration guards at the airport while they examined my Passport and Chinese Visa upon entry into China. 

Oh by the way when you get to China and you are going through customs they will do a physical security check(pat down) if you get a female checking you dont be surprised at the "roaming" hands, it has happened to me over 10 seperate times and many of my male business friends who go to China have it happen to them. I am not saying "all" do it but some do. 


have fun on your trip....

From: China 浙江(zhe jiang) 宁波(ning bo ) @zqy2014 Time : 2016-10-03 14:31:09 #9


I guess the main reason is the visa officer normally has high suspect on the true purpose to be there. If the Chinese lady's marital status is single or divorced and doesn't work in a famous enterprise like 500 tops in the world and a good position, then it could be even more difficult and complicate to make the visa officer to grant the visa..However, a letter of invitation from the western country and enough evidence to show genuine relationship and the development, it will be helpful. 

I know some of Chinese ladies simply intend to use marriage as a leap to relocate in some western countries but it dosen't suit for all ladies. I think the person(the other), the feelings between two and if could feel true love each other is always a priority for a marriage. These are much important than a country, clean air and good environment...

From: Australia Victoria Thomastown @roughdiamond Time : 2016-10-03 19:42:48 #10


hey bud,

as an aussie all i can tell you is take as much info and doc's to the passport office as you can. get a visit letter. my wife had to write one out on the spot. we were then told as it was my first visit i would only be granted a 6 month 60 day at a time 2 entry tourist by us ,as we only cared about the 1 45 day entry at this point.

best of luck


there goes the neighour hood

i'm here.

at this point i would normaly say get my email from John and give me a buzz, but as faith may have it , i have a gmail acc. which is pointless here as i can't access it so any ideas

From: China 山东(shan dong) 济宁(ji ning ) @paulfox1 Time : 2016-10-04 13:54:37 #11


I had the same problem when I arrived. My Gmail account was unavailable in China. is OK and is the one I suggest you go for. I've used it for the last 2 years. You can get mine from John and then contact me when you have your new one.

@Anonymous25311 Time : 2016-10-06 02:26:28 #12
Travelar180 here is a link to the Chinese Embassy website in the United States

From: United States New York New York @traveler180 Time : 2016-10-06 11:57:16 #13

@zgy2014 Thanks for the reply. I know that some women are only interested in leaving China. I am looking forward to meeting my friend and seeing some of China. I am hoping to get a better sense of who she is and her feelings toward me.

From: United States New York New York @traveler180 Time : 2016-10-06 11:59:41 #14

@Anonymous25311 Thank you for sending me the link. I have already visited the Chinese Embassy site.

Comments to Thread
(Showing 1 to 14 of 25) 1 2 More...
To respond to another member's comment type @ followed by their name before your comment, like this: @username Then leave a space.
Submit Thread